The Anglo Trading Estate comprises mainly of the The Anglo-Bavarian Brewery was originally
established in Shepton Mallet in Somerset, England in 1864. It has been
claimed as the first lager brewery in the United Kingdom, although the
claim is disputed. It closed in 1920. The building, now the Anglo Trading
Estate, is a grade II listed building.
The brewery was built for Morrice, Cox and Clarke
of London, and was initially called the Shepton Mallet Pale Ale Brewery.
During the construction work on the site pottery kilns, used to make
Severn Valley Ware, dating from the first to second century were
discovered. In 1871, the business was sold by auction to Hill, Garton and
Company of Southampton, who subsequently expanded and modernised it. In
1872 the Pale Ale Brewery was renamed the Anglo-Bavarian Brewery.
In April 1947 the buildings began their new life as
the Anglo Trading Estate, providing warehousing and distribution to a
range of expanding local businesses such as Clarks the shoe-makers. The
Air Ministry returned the remainder of the site in 1964. Ownership of the
Trading Estate later passed to J H Haskins & Son Ltd who are the current
If you would like more information about units at
the Anglo Trading Estate please click on the
'Contact Us' button.